Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Giver and Taker-away of life

I was a Grampa. It looks like I was a grandpa for about 7 weeks. That's how long Meghan was viably pregnant - or maybe viable isn't the right word, but that's how long my grandbaby grew. When I was very young I was a pro-choice guy. Not because I cared about a woman's rights, but simply a means of population control. It seemed to my simple way of thinking that the population explosion was the root of most of the world's problems.

I think differently now.

Meghan's pregnancy ended as a result of a partial molar pregnancy. It is a genetic accident that happens almost immediately in the fertilization process. A defective fetus grows and is killed by the "mole" which is the placenta - growing unnaturally - much like a cancer.

Of course the word Cancer freaked me out. This is my princess we're talking about! While the untreated prognosis is serious, Meg's doctors have been on top of things and she has confidence in them. She'll be fine and at some point has a good chance of normal motherhood. Maybe starting in a year, maybe less.

Back to the implications for prospective parents and grandparents. This was not tissue, this was life! I grieve for it still daily and wonder why God would put my daughter and our family thru it. I still remember Mitch's face when he opened up her announcement gift. It was a painting that said something like "anyone can be a man, only the best get to be uncles!" He was almost breathless! We were thrilled! It was happy days, she had begun to tell friends ... And then the ultrasound that showed no heartbeat. 

So, God, (who certainly reads my blog) I respectfully don't agree with the way you've handled Meghan's plans at this point. I still believe that you know why this happened and that will have to be enough. I also am trying to believe that you love her more than I do. (That's the hard part right now) I ask that you pay close attention to her and our next generation. She needs some strength and I need some words to give her from time to time. Provide as only You can. I look forward to the way You will work and I will praise you and give you credit for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment